Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTBackup Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylan

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I'm working with a 2003 SBS Standard Server SP2. However this issue is more a general Windows issue not specific to SBS.

At some point the NTBackup application started freezing the server. We thought the issue was the tape hardware, but upon backing up to a BKF file we still have the same problem.

There were some errors about VSS, but I found some MS KB articles that had me re-register quite a bit of dlls. I still get a 6013 VSS error when SQL (MSDE) for ACT! is running. When I stop the ACT! services I do not get any errors during NTBackup (to disk). The server will freeze (lock up) during backup and require a push of the reset button. There are no errors in any of the event logs.

Here's the strangest part: The server will let me get a system state backup about 1 out of 5 times. Since there aren't any errors when it does freeze I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

I am having this same problem. We did an SBS 2003 SP2 migration to a new server. Everything was working fine on the old server but on the new server it will lock up when doing an NTBackup of the exchange store to a file.

It will also not always shut down properly unless I unmount the exchange stores or stop the microsoft information store service before rebooting.

Did you ever figure out how to fix your issue?

Thanks,

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back