Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ntbackup problem - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olli1009

MIS
Jul 30, 2003
IL
Hi all,

We use Ntbackup to back up some of our Compaq servers, this morning when i checked last night's backup on our ML570 server (OS Windows 2000 Server) there was an error in the log, which appeared after the back up has already started.
It stated :

" Device reported an error on request to write data to media,
Error reported : Hardware failure "

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks.

This is basically saying that whatever your backup device is had a problem writing data to the media. I would try:

1. Doing a simple backup to this media using NTBACKUP.
If you get errors doing this try doing each of the following and then re-running backup:
1. Cleaning tape drive
2. Checking connection cables and terminators (If SCSI)
3. Try different media
4. Cycling the power on the Device
5. Check the system event log on the server for errors
6. Check you have the latest firmware on the drive.
7. Check that the tape (and SCSI if used) drivers are the latest versions.
8. Check you have latest Service pack for Windows 2000 server and that you have all the necessary patches for that are relevant to NTBACKUP (check MS knowledgbase).

2.Try running any diagnostic software that you have for the backup device. Some of these diagnostic software can test the read/write ability of drive, test connectivity and throughput and will give you an idea why the backup failed.

Doing the above should resolve the issue, if not you will have more of an idea of what caused the error and hopefully allow you to solve it.

I am new to this forum and having the same problem. All diagnostic tests have passed, firmware, drivers, etc are all up-to-date. Still failing.

Interestingly, I found a documented Microsoft response to a similar problem but in WIN2003. They claim to have a hot fix, but you have to call Microsoft and go through their support procedures ($265 charge to your credit card) and they will tell you how to fix it. They also claim that you will not be charged if they determine, after talking to you, the patch will solve your problem. Sounds like a gamble to me.

If you have any success solving the problem, please let me know - I will do the same. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back