Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NTBackup Data Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

dball63

MIS
Jan 31, 2001
US
Was hoping the group could help me prepare for the future. I ran into an issue a few weeks ago with a failed SP1 install where I was about to restore from tape. I installed a parallel OS, inserted the tape and there was no data on the tape from the parallel installation. When I got the server back up and running through other methods, the data was on the tape after all. What am I missing? Can someone please explain how to get to the tape data for me. I may need this in the future.

David
Sacramento, CA

This is the part that was missing. There was nothing to expand.

If you are restoring from tape, click the tape name to expand and select the date corresponding to the last successful backup.

Will cataloging the tape help in this situation?

David
Sacramento, CA

Yes, since it's the catalog that tells NTBACKUP what's on the tape. And a parallel install wouldn't have the catalog. You'd have to recatalog the tape before it would show you what there was to restore from.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back