Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ntbackup command line and GUI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeQA

Programmer
Sep 29, 2008
US
Hi,

I ran the command line of ntbackup with some switches to test out something and I noticed that it immediately returned to the command prompt. Is there a way to keep that from happening until the job is completed? I did notice that the GUI disappeared once the job was completed.

The reason is I am writing a test in perl in order to do cold exchange backups which then in turn would be backed up via Veritas NBU (and at some point TSM) so I am looking to automate it using Perl and cygwin which is what we run all our perl tests from on windows. Typically the Windows Server is also the client for NBU/TSM so server/client software will be installed for the NBU/TSM portion.

I know I can take an educated guess but if I am testing on a different exchange server (I have 2, 2003 and 2007 enterprise both) I will be passing multiple paths as well for each store. So something that'd work in perl for monitoring this till ntbackup was finished would be appreciated. Ideas also welcome ;-) .

Hi,

If you are running from a command line, try the following

start/min/wait ntbackup.exe <parameters>

The gui opens but the cmd window will wait for ntbackup to complete.

Cheers

Steve

I found using a while loop in cygwin appears to work fine. I use the windows tasklist command like:

while (` tasklist | grep ntbackup`) {
sleep 60;
}

Just sleeps till job is done, then within a minute moves on to next part of the code/test. Seems to work ok.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back