Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4sp6 WS self-reboots BEFORE login! Desperate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giselle

Technical User
Jul 24, 2001
US
It hasn't been a quiet week in this Lake Woebegone ...
I wanted to upgrade a perfectly functioning WinNT4 (patched to 6) WS to Win2k. But of course, there wasn't enuf room on C drive ... so, I started getting rid of non-essentials, moving files -- stuff I've done carefully, thoroughly, etc., zillions of times (have been working w/PCs since days of ol' Apple II & 16k!) -- all is well. I find there's still a copy of Symantec's pcAnywhere on the machine, so I innocently go thru it's uninstall routine (after all _I_ had put it on the PC 2 years ago ...), BAD move. Machine won't reboot. I search on web, find this is indeed a bug, I install a 2nd copy of NT, required drivers, patch it to 6 (this works fine) and proceed to drastically patch the registry (error message was couldn't find display_driver.dll) -- and I succeed (elaborate patch routine on Symantec AND Microsoft to fix the ..GINA chain)-- but NOW the login screen comes up (we have a Novell 5 server, that's fine, other PCs login just fine), BUT before I can do C-A-D, <poof> it reboots way down to hardware level (wants to do a mem check) and then has to do a chkdsk, because it thinks the C drive is corrupted, which it is not.

So ... what to do? Start over, rebuild entire PC, now with Win2k, OR is there some trick thing in the registry that, if I change it, all will be well again? There is software etc. on this PC, which, I can indeed get off, etc. But it's just a pain. I liked it as it was. Have done some Win2k upgrades that were just peachy & all worked as before. Which was what I had expected to do now.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! This is for my church, it's been my community service-type volunteer project since late 1999, all has been well 'til now ...

TIA & blessings on your head!

Suzanne

Suzanne,

I would start with slaving the drive into another machine and getting all data that is relevant and needed. Then i would commence to wiping the mahcine and doing a clean install. This is always the best-practice although not the easier or most feasible 90% of the time. This will give you a clean install that you can then load the software you need back on it. This also allows you to increase the system drive to beyond the 4 gb limit of NT4.

Hope this helps you out and if you need anything else reply back.

Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back