Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4N39BA & Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawks

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
Just got an NT4N39 someone wants me to test for them. Do I have to load my software on it to test. I was just going to throw it in my system in the lab and see if it comes up but reading the install guide it says I need to load the software to it. Is there a way to test without loading the software and codes to the card? He just wants to make sure it works before he sends it out to where he really needs it at.

If you have a test setup that's bare bones to run you could pop it in, but if you're asking if you should power down an existing 51/61/81 and try another processor in it that sounds like a really really bad idea.

No I have an CS1000 in the lab I could use but according to the book I need to install the software onto the card.
"ATTENTION:
Before continuing with this procedure, you must reinstall the software
from Compact Flash."

I was just hoping for some kind of test without having to load the software on it.

The only way I know to test it is to load the VxWorks and see if it loads and comes up. You can choose option B during the install and load a default database, however, it's gonna want key codes as well as a dongle to verify it against.

Hello Hawks. I've got most of the software for the Pentium 4 CPU cards if you need anything. I'm lucky in having an original 1000e rank mounted system that takes these cards and the older Pentium 2 CPU cards.

It allows me to load up a system as it also has the floppy disk drive.

I found these 3 reports below that might interest you.

Background:
A number of new CPPIV cards (NT4N39AAE5) reportedly would not boot up. Symptom: The CF (compact flash) LED initially flashes and then stays on solid. No boot up sequence is seen at all nor does the install screen come up.

Analysis:
A number of cards manufactured in August, 2009 were discovered to have the dip switches incorrectly positioned in the off (down) position, that is pointing towards the faceplate.

Required Actions:
If the dip switches are in the 'off' (down position), please change them to the 'on' (up position), or all pointing away from the faceplate, to resolve the problem.

##############################################################################

NT4N39AAE5 CPPIV Dark Card Issue

Background
Avaya has several customer reports of an issue with the NT4N39AAE5 CPP IV processor cards used on CS1000M Single Group and Multi Group. The symptom that has been experienced on the sites that have seen the issue is that once the card is installed and functioning correctly, if the card is pulled out of the system and re-inserted immediately or after a short period, the card does not power up correctly and appears dead. Most cards do not exhibit this issue, but cards with the problem may have to wait an hour or more before re-inserting for the card to power up correctly and start functioning again.

Analysis
Investigation by Avaya has revealed that although the majority of sites have never experienced the issue, sites with the problem can experience it repeatedly. The Avaya labs have since been able to duplicate the problem using cards from the sites experiencing the issue. The root cause of the issue has been narrowed down to a component within the on board power up circuitry. It has also been found that a bad card will exhibit the issue in CS1000M systems only. CS1000E systems using NT4N39 cards do not exhibit problems
even with bad NT4N39AAE5 cards. Note that most CS1000E systems do not use the NT4N39AAE5.

The symptoms of the issue occurs as follows. Upon first insertion, the NT4N39AAE5 card power up with no issues. On removal and re-insertions the card no longer powers up and the faceplate LED does not light up. If the card is left out and allowed to cool and is then re-inserted the card will power up correctly and will work with no incident. It may take an hour or more to cool the card sufficiently for re-insertion. Note that the issue is upon power up. If the card is already running there is no issue.

A fix to the issue has been developed and the manufacturer of the NT4N39AAE5 will shortly be implementing the modification on the power circuit, to eliminate the problem. Also, Avaya is working with the manufacturer to develop a plan to address the field population of this card.

Recommendation
For NT4N39AAE5 cards already installed, it is recommended not to remove the cards from the shelf unless it is to replace it with another card.

Corrective Action
Corrective Actions will be communicated when a plan is in place to address the field population. At that time it will also be announced which release of card from Avaya has the fix.

Update 23 September 2011
The issue applies to NT4N39AAE5 release 1-6 CPP IV processor cards used on CS1000M Single Group and Multi Group systems that exhibit the following symptoms. Once the card is installed and functioning correctly, if the card is pulled out of the system and re-inserted immediately or after a short period, the card does not power up correctly and appears dead. Most cards do not exhibit this issue, but cards with the problem may have to wait an hour or more before re-inserting for the card to power up correctly and start functioning again.

Recommendation
For mission critical systems or systems in areas where power outages lasting beyond the battery backup hold up time are common, we recommend replacing the NT4N39AAE5 with the NT4N39AAE5 release 7 or NT4N39BAE5, which have been modified to address the issue listed above.

Customers at other sites should consider that the system has two call processor cards, most of these cards do not exhibit the problem and most systems have battery backup systems to ensure no power interruption. To date all reports from the field have come from sites where a card with the issue was pulled out for a
maintenance procedure. This should be taken into account when deciding to order this modification.

#################################################################################

Meridian / CS1000 rls 4.50W CPP4
CPP4/FMD cards disabled when RMD removed. Applies to CPP4 only. Reference: BULLETIN ID: 2007007622, Rev 3 NT4N39 CPPIV / NTDU62 1000E Call Server Compact Flash Cards

Redundant system is in the middle of disk synching which causes the inactive disk state to out of service. At that point of time when RMD was inserted, FMD in active side goes out of service which interrupted disk synching and triggered SWO, which failed because disk state is synching and local side health was better than remote side. Eventually active side FMD came back to service, but inactive FMD remained in out of service state.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Thanks firebird I did see those bulletins, the card I have is the newer BA version. These were supposed to have all the issues corrected. I was able to test it without actually loading the software. What I did was try the card as is right out of the box and as I suspected with no software loaded to it the card would not come up. So what I did was pull the card out and just replaced the on board CF with the one from my card and put the card back in and fired it up and it came right up. Ran it through all the test I knew in 135 and it looked ok so I just powered down and put the original CF card back in it and called it good.
Firebird I would like to get a copy of the software though if you could send me one. Do I just email you at your site?
Thanks again to everyone here for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back