Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 Workgroup*Help*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSponge

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
GB
Not strictly a server question, but something has gone horribly wrong....Please direct me if this is the wrong place to post..THANKS

We bought 2 machines (lasers) that have nt4 workstations on them, they were part of the mydomain domain, I set up a windows 2000 workstation and wanted all three to be on a workgroup...So i set up the first 1 no problem, Took it off the domain, created a workgroup and assigned fixed IP address...the second machine, will not respond at all, i have given it IP address 10.10.10.3 and set everything up correctly..but i cant see or ping the other workgroup computers..and if i do a ipconfig /all in a command prompt, my IP address`s dont show up? I set them up, I know they are there...

I have to work all weekend to get this fixed...does anyone have any clue whats wrong?

PS cable is fine, and i can ping 127.0.0.1...

MANY THANKS

James

I also noticed under ipconfig /all

It doesnt show the settings for ethernet adapter?

I know the card works, the lights are also on...Why cant it be seen? Ive tried everything I know..

Many thanks if you could stop me from going mad...

James

In the event viewer I found this:

"the 3com 3c90x BC Driver service failed to start due to the following error, a device attached to the system is not functioning"

Event ID 7000

??? I have no idea what this means?

Please can someone help? I dont even know where to find the device drivers, I could copy them from the other machine..

Im positive the adapter works...

You can get drivers on the internet.

Have you checked the card is physically properly connected?

If you remove and reinstall drivers, remember to reapply latest service pack too.

Non of the drivers appear to work...I have the latest service pack.

I could copy the driver from the other machine, but NT4 doesnt tell you what the driver is called?

Thanks for replying

Hi,
If I get this right, you have two Windows NT4 and one Windows 2000 machines in a Workgroup. All the three machines are in the SAME Workgroup.
You might have two different problems here. One your TCP/IP conffiguration, and the other your NIC card.
These questions might sound kind of silly but...
Did you assign a different IP addresses for each machine? i.e.: 10.10.10.1-10.10.10.2-10.10.10.3 Did you set the same subnet mask on all of them? i.e.: 225.255.255.0
The Event Viewer is telling you that something is wrong with your NIC card. Go to Device manager and check if NIC card is listed or if there is an exclamation sign by Network Adapters. In either case, you can remove it and let Windows find it and reinstall the drivers for you after restart the machine.
Install new drivers, 3c90x from 3com is a popular NIC card, it shouldn’t be too hard to find drivers in the internet,
Try this site: Try another NIC Card.
I hope this helps.

Repeat - is the network card firmly seated in its PCI slot?

You can't 'copy' the drivers from other machine - they need to be installed. If you go to network properties (NT doesn't have a device manager), Adapters tab, you should see your network card listed there. You can remove it from here and add it back - but you'll need the drivers in the right format (eg, the ones that came with the card originally on floppy or CD, or by going to 3com site and downloading them). These operations will cause NT to reinstall networking components (it will ask for install CD) - which are generally older service pack level than installation. Which is why you need to reapply the latest service pack after the reinstall. This may cure your problem - if the card is ok.

btw - you are in the wrong forum - should be forum621.

Thanks for all your replies guys, I will be trying this today.

I have assigned all seperate IP`s and the correct subnets yes.

The card is listed, and says its working fine and is seated properly, it still wont show up under IPCONFIG though...perhaps if the above doesnt work, I`ll try a new card.

Thanks

No, Im afraid none of this works, I removed the adapter and restarted, Windows NT didnt even notiice! Perhaps the card is faulty.

I will try to install another one....(Ive never done this with an NT4 workstation, so any advice would be great!)

Thanks

Problem Solved, Thankyou all...

The device driver for the NIC was corrupt, So I removed and installed a new NIC,

Works like a charm now!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back