Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 / W2K Hybrid Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2001
GB
My current situation is this.

Server No 1. NT4 Server, Name Alpha is the PDC of Domain Alpha1.
Server No 2. NT4 Server, Name Delta is the PDC of Domain Delta1.
Server No 3. W2K Server, Name TermServer on the same network as Alpha.

Alpha and Delta have a full 2 way trust.

TermServer has a Global Group added from Alpha1, all members of which can use the Terminal Server Client to connect to this machine.

If I try to add a Global Group from Delta1 to TermServer for similar purposes it says it can't find the server even though the domain name appears in the drop down box.

Under NT I would normally add a line to the lmhosts file similar to

10.1.1.1 NAME #PRE #DOM:DOMAIN

in order for the server to find the PDC of the domain in question. I've tried adding this to the W2K box to no avail

Alpha and TermServer are on the same network address range with a router giving access to Delta. All Servers have persistant routes added to enable intersite communication. As far as I can tell this works fine eg I can Telnet and ping machines on the distant networks.

How do I get it working ?

Everything sounds right...but do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on your Term Server? If not, your lmhosts file wouldn't be worth the bits it's written on.... That's my guess.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back