Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 upgrade path to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

VortigernWolf

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Hi,

I am have some difficulties in making a decision and wonder if some more information can be forth coming to help me decide the upgrade path to take for NT4 to 2003.

I have read lots of documents and other information, but it does not answer my basic question: What is the best upgrade path for my situation.

Heres the picture:

1 NT4 PDC running a small network of about 30-40 machines. it is running exchange 5.5, with no BDC's just one server. The customer wants a new server to take over the running of the network and the old server is to be formatted and made into a workstation.

This now means that I have two basic choices for an upgrade.

1. Backup completely the old server, upgrade it to 2003 DC. Insert the new server as a 2003 DC and use dcpromo and FSMO to move the roles across, migrate exchange and then bring down the old server. If I need to back out the change. Format the old server and restore from backup.

Or

2. Insert the new server as an NT4 BDC, Promote to PDC and then upgrade to 2003, leaving the old server in place. Migrate exchange and user files.

Now I am hedging for option 2, but I ask if anyone has had any experiances with migration and in there opinion which is the best method?

Thankyou in Advance

Vortigern

I don't know about everyone else but i've never used dcpromo in a network upgrade. I've upgraded about 25 servers this year alone.

I'll always do everything from scratch with a new server. Or when i'm forced to use an existing server, format and start fresh. I've never had any problems.

Typically, a small network (30 machines) will take approx 12 to 16 hours to complete. Then you're gauranteed that there is no carry over of issues from the old server. When ready to start adding users and printers, sit side by side with the old server.

Good luck.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

How we did it was:-

built a brand new BDC and promoted to PDC then upgraded to Server2003.

Shut down the original domain controllers and tested our network services (logons, printing etc).

rebuilt (not upgraded) the old domain controllers as Server2003 machines then run DCPROMO to make domain controllers.

Finally moved FSMO roles from DC that was upgraded to one of the new DCs and then run DCPromo to demote the first DC to a stand alone server.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Your 'method two' has the advantage of preserving all the domain names, whilst method one would have a fresh start if you needed to change any of the DNS, or domain names.

When you make your plan, also consider Exchange, will you be upgrading to Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003. The permutations can be quite complex.

My number one piece of advice would be to get a test network and practice from backups of the existing system.

Here is more advice on for your migration.

Guy Thomas

'Best Practice' Ezine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back