Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 to 2003 domain upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowbot

MIS
Jan 17, 2008
US
Im planning out my NT4 to 2003 upgrade and have a plan I am confident in, but have a couple of questions about DNS.

So far the bare-bones plan is:

1. Take a virtual machine of a BDC, promote it to PDC, and take offline.
2. Install 2003 on the offline virtual PDC. Use same domain name and append .local for fqdn. Configure DNS. Leave in interim/mixed mode (need support for 5.5 exchange).
3. Put on network. DCPROMO another 2003 server so there are two running.
4. Change DNS settings on client stations and servers.

Im still not sure what happens between the time I put the new server on the network and the time I finish changing all the clients and servers to point to the proper DNS. I have 80-90 machines with static IPs and this needs to be done manually.

Will they just fail until they get the new DNS settings? I will be in mixed-mode so perhaps they will continue on like they did before? After I change their DNS settings will they need anything like a reboot or will anything need to be removed and joined back onto the domain? Thanks.

When I used terms like PDC and BDC above, Im referring to NT4 boxes not 2003.

...that's my signature, not a response to your post.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back