Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 Server seeing Win2k Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonmoon

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2002
US
I am trying to establish a trust relationship between a Win2k DC and a NT4 Server. I know where and how to add the trusts but I am unable to added the "trusted" domain to the NT4 box. It reponds "unable to find domain controller for this domain". Whats interesting though, is the trust works in reverse. I can add the 2k domain to the trusting domains and I get the trust up. Anyone know why I can't get the winnt to trust the win2k domain?

Diagram:

Server OS: NT 4 Win2k
Domain: Domain2 HUPK

domain2 canNOT add trusted domain HUPK
domain2 can add trusting domain HUPK

hupk trusted domain2 (verified)
hupk trusting canNOT verify trust to domain2

something is goofy...

Is this a standalone server? If so why don't you just join it to the Win2k domain.

Ok well maybe a better explination of what is going on would help. I have a exchange 5.5 server in domain 2. Everyone is setup on domain2. I wanted to setup ADC with the new win2k domain I am creating HUPK. I wanted to trust the other domain so exchange 2000 can connect to the 5.5 server. But its not working as well as expected....

I'm having a similar problem. I have a 3 servers all in the same domain, but the 2 nt 4 servers don't trust and cannot find the w2k domain controller. The nt4 servers are logging on using cached information. How do i create a trust from the nt 4 side to trust the w2k pdc? I have created the trust from the w2k side already and still cannot get onto that domain. please help!!! thank you.

NT4 to find your NT require:
- NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your WIndows2000 DC
- the AD to be in the mixed mode (to find a PDC emulator)
- a way to find the DC (if is separated by a router, or you have name resolution issues, try to create entries in the lmhosts, to tell to NT4 where is the PDC)

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

I set this up some time ago for us and it basically boils down to setting up WINS replication between the PDC and the DC of the 2000 domain. Once you have the pair as WINS replication partners then they will be able to trusts each other. My goal was to introduce a 2000 domain due to the installation of Exchange 2000 and I didnt want to break or interrupt the current NT domain we had set up which we would be phasing out anyway, so go into WINS and set up replications partners on both sides and then go ahead and establish the trusts.

jayvo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back