Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 Server - Not all services starting up properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammer986

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
GB
I got hit by a virus last week (system32.exe) which, after removing, corrupted my Compaq NT4 Server and it would start-up but was very sluggish and after 5 minutes it would say not all services started successfully(services.exe, fspcc.exe and a couple of others).

After going for a complete re-install, formatting the hard disks and installing NT from fresh, NT now starts up but still says not all services started up, check Event Viewer, How can I use event viewer to get all my services starting up properly. When I attempt to make changes such as install a monitor driver it goes through the process but when I restart to allow the changes to take affect nothing has changed at all.

Also my network card is not detected, when performing the network test, it says the the card is fine but that there is something wrong with the cable (it worked fine until I removed the virus).
Should I just throw the damn thing out the window or what?

Have you made the latest updates to your system including Service packs and hotfixes? Also make sure you are using the latest NT4 drivers for all the hardware on your system.

As you have reformated your HD, can't see how the Virus should still be affecting your system.

Claudius (What certifications??)

HI thanks for showing some interest!

I've installed service packs 5 & 6 which is all I have. Your question about the HD makes me think it may possibly be that when I did a re-install, I had to reformat the hard drive (12Gb c:=2Gb D:=10Gb), I only formatted the C:, also I'm not sure if I should have formatted it all as NTFS is that correct or should I make space for FAT as well if so how much should go to each ??

Your response would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back