Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nt4 roaming profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali41

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
ok, here is my problem.. we all are familiar with NT4 roaming profiles. my dilemma in my nt4 server setup is a couple users have requested roaming profiles so when the switch computers around the office, they will have the same settings and desktop icons etc. ok, not difficult. my problem is that stored in the profiles are Internet Explorers temporary internet files which obviously get huge and waste alot of space and waste time when copying all these worthless files over the network when the user wants to log off. so what i want to do is somehow limit the size of the users profile that will get copied onto the server so it doesnt extend the log off process. I have tried a few things, the internet explorer settings to limit the size of the temp int files folder does not work, plus i dont want to have to manually set up certain settings on every computer that these users are going to be on because i dont know what computers they will be using. so anyones help on this is greatly appreciated, i have tried everything i can think of. please respond...Thanks!

-Tim

Use the Windows NT Policy editor or just edit this key to exclude directories from the roaming profile... HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\ExcludeProfileDirs

The entry should be the exact path fromt the user's profile ie only put "Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files;" not C:\... Cheers,
Sam

Please let members know if you found their posts helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back