Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 replicate with win2k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2002
US
I am running a windows 2000 pdc and bdc. My older servers, including the backup server are running windows NT4.0 sp6a. I would like to be able to replicate directories with my nt4 server and my bdc. Is this possible? I have installed the dfs client for nt4, but it tells me the file replication service is not running.

1) how do i get frs to run on an nt4 box
2) will it do my any good toward the result i describe above?

Thanks,

Rick

Checking the Replication Topology

Click Start , point to Programs , point to Administrative Tools , and then click Active Directory Sites and Services.

[ol][li]In the console tree, double-click the server you want to use to check replication topology: [/li]

[li]Active Directory Sites and Services [/li]

[ul][li]Sites [/li]

[li]Site that contains the domain controller whose replication topology you want to check [/li]

[li]Servers [/li]

[li]Server you want to use to check replication topology [/li]

[/ul]
[li]Right-click NTDS Settings , point to All Tasks, and then click Check Replication Topology.

NOTE: Active Directory runs a process that considers the cost of inter-site connections, checks if any previously-available domain controllers are no longer available, checks if new domain controllers have been added, and then uses this information to add or remove Connection objects to create an efficient replication topology. This process does not affect manually-created Connection objects.
[/li]
[/ol]

Setnaffa is an MCSE-4.0 (working on W2K) with a few other certs, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back