Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 Profile Deleteing Upon Login???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali41

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
Hi, I am running a BDC NT4 server, and there is an odd problem with certain users. Say user X logs on for the first time, it creates a local profile on the machine, then the user logs off. When a different user Z logs on, user X's profile that is stored under winnt/profiles is completely deleted. Lost without a trace. This happens to certain users, but not everyone because there are profiles still stored in the directory. It is a super odd problem that has us stumped about why this might be happening. Anyone with any thoughts or ideas, please help, we are at the end of the line.

-Tim
IS

You could try converting your file system to NTFS - that way the profiles will have security permissions applied to them..

Note though that anyone with Admin privalidges on the box has access to delete any profile.

Also note that NTFS is not compatible with Dos/Win95/98 etc.. [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

I also had that same problem on Win2K Terminal Services. Implementing roaming profiles to force a copy from the network to the local server seemed to be the only answer. Worked great. Give it a try.

Are you using the %UserName% to create the profile?

Check each user account, under the profile for both Term Serv and the regular profile, make sure that the name has been changed correctly to use the user's name. Sometimes the %UserName% does not work correctly and have to put it manually.

Gladys I. Rodriguez - MCSE, CCDA, MCP+I
GlobalStrata Solutions Inc.

Try checking this out.

10. Delete roaming profiles. When a user who has a roaming profile logs off a workstation, a copy of the roaming profile remains, consuming space on the local hard disk. To delete cached profiles at logoff, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon subkey and set the DeleteRoamingCache value to 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back