Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 File Server to 2000 Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorphus

MIS
Nov 29, 2001
US
I am fixing to migrate our NT4 file and print servers to new 2000 file and print servers. I know that there is a printer migration tool for migrating the printer queue's. But was wondering if there was anything out there to migrate all of the shared directories to the 2000 servers, besides recreating each share. We operate 24x7x365 so minimal downtime is a necessity. Thanks in advance.

Coming from the old school I did it using the RMTSHARE utility from the NT4.0 server resource kit. Took a bit of time and effort to get the batch script right but installed perfectly well.

Wouldn't mind finding an automatic way.

maybe you should consider an upgrade in place.

1. setup a new NT BDC, sync the domain and take the new BDC offline - this is incase something goes wrong, you can promote this machine to a PDC.
2. upgrade your NT PDC to Win2k server, it will keep the user accounts and shares
3. install acive directory with integrated DNS
4. Do not put the domain in native mode.
5. make sure your BDC's can sync with the domain.

This is a crude outline of what to do. you can get a more detailed process by getting the Win2k resource kit.

Good Luck Doomhamur
Network Engineer

"Certifications? we dont need no stinking certifiaction."
yahoo IM handle: greater_vortex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back