Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4 fails to shut down or restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianmac69

Instructor
Feb 3, 2003
AU
Hi All,

thanks for taking the time to read this post.
We have a nt4 workstation that has sp6 and a few imaging applications installed. However yesterday the user reported that the system wil no longer shut down or reboot.
I have removed dameware mini remote control as well as mcafee 451 sp1 after reading a few older posts.
In vga mode the same problem occours.
There have been no changes to this pc for months and im wondering what to try next.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Maybe there is a program or process which will not terminate at shutdown. It might be an idea, from Task Manager, to manually stop one or more programs and then try another shutdown.

I have also tried to do this as well.
some apps will not close down form task manager (access denied)
I was thinking i might reinstall sp6 for nt40.....

reapplying service pack is always worth trying in NT

You may want to check to see if McAfee has caught and quarantined a virus recently. I have experienced instances when Symantec quarantines a virus on a one of our workstations, performance suffers greatly until those in quarantine have been deleted successfully.

Do you experience the same issue (especially access denied)under the Administrator account?

When they try to shutdown, what actually happens? Is it just slow? They get any prompts to close by End Task?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back