Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4/Exch5.5 - users can open other users mails...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratbs75

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2001
BE
Hi All,

new little problem, where I couldn't find any response here, or I'm searching the wrong way. We got NT4 server and Exch5.5... users are working on their wrkstations on Win2k and Outlook2k... now why are they able to open others mails boxes? They aren't admin, and don't have special rights, they are just domain users... help needed, thnx :) :)

cheers

Your Exchange permissions are screwed.

In Exchange Admin, makes sure you have the Option ticked to show permissions page on all objects. Then look at the properties of the Recipients container, and open the Permissions tab. Do you have a defaut NT group in there with an inapproriate role?

thank you for the fast answer!!!! I checked it before, and just checked again. The permissions page option is checked, and in the container permissions is all 'known', just IT people and the exchange account has access... nothing left to default there... is it possible that exchange 5.5 is screwed up????? (with MS you never at the end of any surprises...)

tia!
cheers

I've never heard of Exchange just allowing non-authenticated logon to mailboxes.

Check the individual permissions tab of a random mailbox.

i checked both boxes, the 'abuser' and the 'abused'... nothing special, all ok and known accounts... :/ That's why I came here, cause i'm somewhat lost :/

So it's a specific rather than a general problem?

Have you checked the abused's Delegates tab? Individual folder permissions? Have you had them change their NT logon password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back