Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4.0 (actually SBS4.5) PDC issue - fails to authenticate logons 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2011
US
I have this SBS4.5 (yes, I know...) issue since changing our network IP range from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.9.x. in that it will authenticate XP client logons for a period of time, but after that time (typically it's been about 10 days, but this last few times it only been a couple of days) will refuse to do so. The temporary fix is simply restarting the server and, like I just said, this works for a few days. It's almost like the part of the server that is the domain controller is crashing.

But there is nothing obvious to see on the server and typically this behavior won't even be noticed (because most users have a cached accounts) until a user tries to logon to a machine he/she has never logged onto before; or we try to join a new machine to the domain; or someone tries to access shared resources on the PDC and finds they can't.

I'm really tearing my hear out over this one. Anyone got any gems of insight?

hi,

things that come back from the stored part of my memory are:

- WinNT4 DC was not compliant on multihomed server
(a server with more than one NIC(active), )
(the current version of AD, don't like this too). Then it seems
that some parts of the server followed your choices,
while others remained on the old address, and they don't like.

- Google how to change ipaddr on NT4DC or SBS and if you find
something that convices you, do it again, also with the same new address.

- have a look in Events, and search for some corrispondences between some events and the "crash" moment

- make an intensive search in every part of server panels
to see if you find some reference to the old subnet

- make a text search on the system (from C:\ )
searching on every file words as "168.1."

bye
vic

Thanks Vic, there really isn't anything obvious in the event logs and I can't find any references to the old subnet in any files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back