Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT4.0 5.5 Exch to Win2k 5.5 Exch

Status
Not open for further replies.

demirh

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
Just wondering if anyone attempted this.
I just got in a new server poweredge 6400 which supposubly is not Nt 4.0 supported.
My older exch server is nt4.0 exch 5.5.
Can i do database move to win2k and 5.5 exch from Nt4.0 and 5.5 Exch.
If anyone has succesfully attempted this please let me know.

Our Exchange 5.5 servers were originally on NT4 servers. We successfully moved them to Windows 2000. They are currently running on Windows 2000 Server SP4.

I would suggest testing in a lab environment before doing the live change as we needed some patches from Microsoft Product Support Services in order to get it working (A DS update patch and a patch to allow Exchange Optimizer to work on Win2k SP4).

We just restored from backup using Veritas Backup Exec onto the new servers (Using setup /r to initially install exchange 5.5 - there are loads of articles on doing this)

Hope this helps.

we moved from nt4 to windows 2000. installed exchange on the 2000 server in the same organization and moved the mailboxs over. after a few weeks we took the exchange services off the nt box

chibuku ~ I am planning on doing the same as you have. I have just built a windows 2000 server with exch 5.5 and don't see any major problems after moving over 20 mailboxes.

The only issue I have right now is getting OWA working. I have the SSL cert on it and I can log into OWA with a test account but the screen goes blank and no errror or anything comes up. Are your permissions different on the w2k server than on the nt server for OWA? Just wondering

Thanks,

Dave

What microsoft article did you guys follow?
I am debating weather to move mailboxes or to do a restore on new box. I would like to keep the same nebios name.
Does new box have to have the same netbios name or can you manipulate the dns so outlook sees it as a old box but it is really new box.

demirh ~ here's a good article to follow. I added a new exchange server to the current org/site which makes it very easy to move mailboxes. Depending on how many users you have then server name would be a factor. I have little over 600 users but I decided to change the name because I am changing all of our netbios server names to a more secure enviroment. At least better that that last administrators. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back