Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT User Profiles To AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnatt76

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
GB
Do i have to do anything to my existing NT user Accounts before i migrate them over in to Active Directory ?

just make sure youve got a reliable backup of the entire server if its your PDC your updating.
and got the drivers for the server hardware ESPECIALLY the RAID/SCSI card driver on floppy. MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Hi yeah thanks have that side already covered.

Was really getting at actuall changes to the profiles themselves oh and while i have your attention.....What is the best practise for migrating them Eg: migration tools etc.

Thanks in advance for you time

Nath.

hmm if its like 1 server that youve got in your domain--it will upgrade and usually does reasonably well--thus ur user acounts getting ragged over MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Windows 2K resource kit comes with the migration tool you need, it is very straight forward, we did an upgrade from NT4 and NDS last year and had no problems, all of the users permissions will come accross, as will file permissions.

However I recommend you create a couple of test accounts in NT 4 first an migrate them over to test your system.

are we talking about upgrading a server here or TRANSFERING accounts across? MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

already have 1 PDC and two DC's.
The user "PROFILES" are on one of our existind DC's
but when we upgrade our PDC to 2000 they will all be copied on to this.
Just wanted to make sure that when users login after this, that they will still be able to log in .
Also any issues with roaming profiles ?

thanks all once again

Nath*

so i ask again are we onabout transfering USER accounts OR PROFILE folders

you must be exact with questions as u can mean about 20 things with one wrong word MCSE NT&2K,CCNA/CCDA,CNA,ASE,NSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back