Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT User or Group not found error 15401 for new SQL login

Status
Not open for further replies.

techMom

Programmer
Jul 6, 2001
US
Hi,
I am getting an error message when trying to setup a new login in SLQ Server 2000. I choose a domain user from the list, however when I try to add it I get a message 'Error 15401: NT User or group Domain\user not found. Check the name again.' Microsoft's documentation for this error addresses case sensitivity - I have tried all different cases for my domain and username, with the same error.

This happens to me on two different (unrelated) servers. One server refuses to add the administrator or IUSR; the other one refuses to add an account we created with admin rights but not the name admin.

One common link is that both of these servers are running active directory - and at least one of them was setup after sql server was installed. Any thoughts on how I can get around this one?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back