Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Startup Timer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuna

Programmer
Dec 13, 2002
US
How does one adjust the bootup timer on windows 2000? I'm refering to the 30 second timer that provides a delay to select an alternate OS if available. 30 seconds it too long, and I've seen it set at 4 seconds on some PC's.

Any help?

[fish] No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

Oh, and can this be done through VB?

[fish] No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

Tuna

Where you been? long time no see!

to access the the start up delay timer... I would open the boot.ini file (usually c:\boot.ini) and look for the text Timeout Here is a snippet of mine..
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT

use either fso or whateever to parse the file and set the value. You could even set the default from VB by hacking the default key.

Obviously the usual cautions apply: like don't screw it up or your system won't boot!!!

The boot.ini is usuallyhas the system and read attributes set to hide it from the casual user, so you'll need to clear them too

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I've been swamped, so way too little time lately. Hence the absence.

Thanks for the info, and I figured it was the boot.ini.. problem is, I can't seem to locate that file. I've read about boot.ini getting renamed by a security app. and that it can get renamed boot.pcd or something odd like that, but my search turns up NADA. There's no boot.* on the PC in question. I did consider that it would be hidden and the PC in question isn't hiding system files either.

I better plug it back in one more time to be sure.

It hurts being a vet. developer and have to ask stupid questions like this one. #-) I'm considering changing my name to flounder... naaaaa!

I had the devils job finding it the first time! (boot.ini)

explorer / tools / folder options / view tab...

then look for the option
"Hide protected OS files (recommended)"

clear the tick box, apply it and ignore the complaint box from MS (he he)

IT IS THERE and you will find it!

Take Care

Matt

Well Matt, after a second check of the settings (I do know how to find them, but thanks for pointing it out), I did previously overlook the very option you mentioned here.

Now before you wonderful readers go muttering ID10T about me, realize that this was a LAZYNESS ISSUE, not a HOW TO issue. I just KNEW that I had already unchecked that option, so I didn't look at it until now.

Ok, self-defense mode is now backing off and I'm entering the acceptance phase of this little 'fiasco' (did I speell that right?)

Thanks Matt, take a star and make a wish...

>(I do know how to find them, but thanks for pointing it out),

Pulling a tuna tail is fun....[poke] My point was the "Hide protected OS files" It took me weeks to find it. I,like you, was sure that I had set my explorer view "correctly". Glad you solved it!

and there may be others out there who don't!

Ta for the star though

Take Care

Matt

Start\Settings\ControlPanel\SystemProperties\Advanced\Startup and Recovery
Change the Display list of operating systems for 30 Seconds to what ever 0 is ok
or simply uncheck the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back