Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Servers Cannot be Selected 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabulani

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
GB
I have just installed Backup Exec Version 8, with a service account in the Domain Admins group.

Problem is hwne I try to create a backup job my NT Servers show up greyed out and cannot be expanded. All the workstations (95,98, NT4 and W2K) are OK and the backup server as Local machine. All the other NT servers in the list are greyed out and cannot be expanded.

I have reinstalled following the instructions in the manual step by step.

I was just dealing with a reinstall this morning and had the same problem. you need a "remote agent for windows nt/2000" installed. we had purchased one a while ago, all i did was put in the serial number and let me select the admin shares. hope this helps

Thanks, I had to install the Accelerator agent although the manual suggested I did not need it if all my systems were on NT4.

Hi, I have also experienced this problem. If I do purchase the Accelerator Agent would I need to purchase one for each additional server? Thanks in advance.

DD

Yes, 1 remote agent Per Server license (NT workstations do not need the activation key, just the server)

I got the same problem to backup two server. The backup function is geryed out. If I don't want to buy the remove agent..how can I completed the backup job....

All remote NT & Win2k Servers will be greyed out until you have a Remote Agent s/n (serial number) added to the main BENT (Backup Exec for NT) installation. However, if you initially installed BENT w/ a s/n then you can go through add/remove programs to remove ALL serial numbers which will allow you to run BENT w/ all features enabled for 60 days. This should hold you until you can obtain a Remote Agent s/n.

My friend suggested to me if I installed open file option with remote agent in one NT SVR then it will backup all remote SVR and WS (win95/ win98). Does it ture??

You should have one Remote agent license installed on the BE (backup exec) server per remote NT or Win2k server you are backing up. Remote NT workstations, win2k pro workstations, 98/95, Mac and Unix machines can be backed up with just the base BE license.

Bloody expensive, somewhere around £92.42 when i last purchased and that wasn't that long ago :)

Cheers

£92.42 per server that is before you all I think I am seriously tight fisted

i have the same problem. my understanding is that in order to get access to these servers you need two diff. serial numbers. one for backup exec and one for the agent on the backup server.

am i not understanding this correctly?

bolasete,

The Backup Exec Server Edition or Advanced Server Edition or Backup Exec Small Business server key will activate the Backup Server. In order to Backup a remote server, a remote agent key is needed. This is an additional key. You also need to push out a remote agent service on the remote server.

Had the same problem. Upgraded to version 8.6. It solved the problem.

Yes, but if you bought stock in Veritas a year ago... If it ain't broken, play with it till it breaks.

I had the same problem, but in order to get around it I was a bit tricky :) I created mapped drives across the network to all the servers I wanted to back up. I connected them to the Admin shares ( \\server\c$ \\server\d$ \\server2\c$ )
Then I made sure the "Backup option added to windows explorer" was installed. I then went to the mapped drive, selected the stuff I wanted backed up and ran the job. This created a job that ran instantly, but it also creates a list in the job definitions. I went into the job definitions, created a schedule and now everything works. It's a bit of work to do, but it works. =)
Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back