Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server will not network

Status
Not open for further replies.

EST7745

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2003
US
I've recently installed Windows NT server on a Dell Optiplex GX260. The network card (PCI DLINK DFE 530TX+) installed ok.....however when I boot NT up, I get the message "Atleast one service or driver failed during system startup." I've tried the DLINK and a 3COM card and both produce this message. Once I go in to windows, if I try to join a domain it tells me that the domain controller can't be located. If I go in to event log, the following error message appears in the system log:

"The TCP/IP - NETBIOS helper services depends on the network provider group and no member of the group started."

Also I decided to try all over and go in to the Network Setup Wizard and it says that the network failed to start. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Yes, I have tried this already

What service does the event log say didn't start, and why?

John

You can't join the domain if your are not getting an IP Address. I would remove all protocols, Remove the NIC Driver, reinstall the NIC and protocols, and reinstall the service pack

Let me retrack. Why would you want to join the domain if you are installing a server? Did you install this properly? During the install you choose to build the server as a PDC, BDC, Member Server. If you install this as a BDC or Member Server then you should be able to connect to the domain during the install.

Perhaps you can explain a little better at what you are trying to do with this server.

Question: Does this machine have a separate NIC along with the stock NIC that Dell installs as part of the system board? If so, there may be a conflict there. Uninstall all NICs & start from scratch. If there is still a "driver not installed" message from the event viewer, you may have to disable the card that is not installing properly & use a PCI network card.
CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back