Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT SERVER , running batch files when logging on.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trotter

Technical User
Oct 11, 2001
CA
I was wondering if anyone could show me an example of a Batch file that will copy certain files to the server when the user (win98) logs on.
I wanna copy the users .pst files every morning when they logon to the Server, for backup reasons. I have plenty of space on the server (35gigs) to create 8 user folders and have their .pst saved there . Each users .pst's are only 200 megs in size.
Thanks.

I would do this is a logon script. (I use Kixtart logon script language...this is free and can be easily installed. goto
Brute force method might look something like this:

Create a bat file called bsmith.bat. Do something like this...

net use w: /delete
Net USE W: \\servername\bsmithSHARE
c:
copy c:\exchange\bsmith.pst W:
net use W: /delete

Save this...

Make a bat file for each user....again this is a poor way to do it...but it gives you the idea... You can perform actions based on username using Kixtart.

By the way...each persons logon would be slowed down big time due to this....Usually people have large PST files and it will take a long time for this file to copy to the server. But this method should work...

Hope this helps

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back