Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT server Installation problem..hangs during setup..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyosa

Technical User
Jun 12, 2000
US
i've just encounered a problem i've never had before w/ an nt 4 server instalation. i'm doing a clean install using the boot floppies. everything goes smoothly until it asks me to insert the second disk. it then get to the point where it's loading the fat file system then BAM blue screen of death and massive memory dump. i've tried everything i can think of to figure out what's happeneing but am hoping someone here may have some ballpark ideas.<br><br>just for example i've tried:<br><br>switching out the memory using a known good DIMM.<br>changed hard drive (3 times)<br>re-created the boot disks<br>changed some of the bios settings (bios shadowing etc)<br>i've even tried to install w2k server booting from the cdrom and it gets to the smae point and hangs.<br><br>i'm really stuck!!!!!!!!<br>any help or ideas would really make my day!<br><br>thanks in advance.<br>&nbsp;

What type of storage subsystem? Are there any partitions created on the drives you have tested? Do you get to the point of selecting the installation partition and file system and if so, what do you choose?<br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

i have been using a 4 gig drive as the main drive it currently is set up w/ 2 fat 16 partitions. as for being able to choose how to partition during the setup process i don't even get that far. the setup process just goes along as normal (listing along the bottom of the screen what it is currently loading.) it load all the keyboard and video drivers and the it gets to the fat file systame and eives me the memory dump.<br><br>Damn frustrating i must say. esp because everything else seems to work ok. i have blown out the drives -&nbsp;&nbsp;fdisk'd them and gdisk'd them - formatted and reformatted (have't tried a low level format but have thougt abt it)but alwyas get the same error when trying to do the install. The real kicker is that everything seems to wrok ok under DOS and the bios reports everything ok w/ the disks (number of cylinders, size etc) <br><br>momma said ther'd be days like this!!!!!!<br><br>THANKS again.

My original advice would have been the memory which you have already tried.<br>Of course NT is much pickier about hardware than DOS which explains why DOS loads but not NT.<br>What kind of machine is it? <br>My first guess would be a mobo problem. IDE or SCSI? If the latter it could also be the controller. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

About 1 year ago I had the same problem.<br>The reason was that I made the 3 boot diskettes on a System which was infected with a bootsector virus. I don't remember the name, but I know it was not really destructive.<br><br>When I used a diskette Set from a different Station it worked without problems. <p>hnd<br><a href=mailto:hasso55@yahoo.com>hasso55@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

actually the hardware is all good. i was running nt on this box prior to it crashing and my subsequest reinstall...<br>actuall after all the heartache i replaced the motherboard and that solved the problem...come to find out there was short on the board...<br><br>thanks everyone though for the ideas and help.

Hi,<br><br>You have to generate the 3 diskettes from your cd of NT<br>with winnt.exe /ox ad be sure that these diskettes are not infected by a virus<br>you have to specify your scsi controler during installation<br><br>other solution is to install win95 or win98 on your machine<br>if you are sure that win95 or win98 could be install without problem and that insert your cd of WIN NT and run<br>winnt32 to update your system Os<br><br>good luck

I had a similar problem installing NT about a year or so ago, and that was down to a virus.<br><br>NT will not install if you have a boot-sector virus.<br><br>I would check this out first if I were you. I spent hours checking other things first!<br><br>Rik<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back