Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server backup error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantab888

MIS
Nov 26, 2001
US
Has anybody seen this error and know what the fix is?

Thanks

Could you be a bit more specific about the error?

Ooops! Thanks for the heads up. Here's the error:

Succeeded with warning(s): asgard-build.boston.bmc.com, odin-w, serrano, vm-pune3, winbuilder

Start time: Tue Jun 12 20:00:01 2007
End time: Tue Jun 12 20:47:03 2007

--- Unsuccessful Save Sets ---

* srcsafe:SYSTEM STATE:\ 1 retry attempted
* srcsafe:SYSTEM STATE:\ Registry - Cannot save Registry key SOFTWARE: 0x00000057
* srcsafe:SYSTEM STATE:\ Registry - Error saving
* srcsafe:SYSTEM STATE:\ save: RPC error: RPC cannot encode arguments
* srcsafe:SYSTEM STATE:\ save: save of SYSTEM STATE:\ to nwbackup2.adprod.bmc.com failed

Cannot encode arguments" points to the fact that the data cannot be read for whatever reason.

This might be due to an unknown problem with a 'background' process - (anti) virus or similar.

The hex error also indicates that "the parameter is incorrect". Now that can be of many reasons. Looks like you are backing up other save sets as well according to the time it takes to backup. Does the other save sets work? Have you tried to start a backup from the client of System state? If there still are errors, you can also try nt backup and see if that works.

I have the same problem, but i'm running 64bit servers and i've heard that Legato does not yet support backing up the system state for 64bit. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know.

Can the last post please be confirmed.. im getting failed system state errors as well on 64bit.

According to the NW 7.4 Release Notes, this is not completely true - VSS is not supported for 2003 x64 which of course also applies to the SYSTEM save sets. This is true since NW 7.3:

To prevent backup errors from occurring, VSS should be disabled for NetWorker client computers running Windows Server 2003 x64. With VSS disabled, the file system and the system components are backed up by using the legacy method, which means that the backup is performed without taking a snapshot.

For more details, please read the Release Notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back