Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT server and Windows 2003 SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

danofre

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
I have 3 current machines.
#1 Windows NT4 which is the PDC and must stay online
#2 Windows NT4 which is Exchange 5.5which is currupted and being replaced
#3 Windows 2000 member server

I am setting up a new machine Server 2003 SB and using exchange. I will move the databases off the old mail.

The #1 server needs to stay online as it hosts our Universe software. It is being upgraded n the new box but the next box must run as a test first.

Can I run Windows 2003 with the NT box still online?

I dont know where to start,

There is no reason you could not run Windows Server 2003 in conjunction with the NT domain - you would just need to set up manual trust relationships between the AD forest and the old NT domain. That would help you co-exist and use resources from both systems while you migrated.

Did you say you are using Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server? I have not used that, yet, so I do not know if there are any restrictions on creating manual trusts under SBS.

Maybe someone else knows SBS better, and can provide input on that aspect...

Jason

Per
The server is a single-domain solution, which is not intended to be integrated with other Windows domains. You are not permitted to establish explicit trusts to other Microsoft Windows NT nor to Active Directory domains. Also, Small Business Server 2000 does not enable you to create child domains.

The same limitation applies to 2003.

You can have the two running, but with SBS, you'd create a new AD forest & domain. Use Exmerge to export the mail (there is a different version of Exmerge for 5.5 and 2003). Use robocopy to copy files.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

So it is staying on the same domain so I can run it. it should just run in native mode correct?
this should be a fun tranistion.

Once there is no NT stuff in your domain, then, yes, Native Mode.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back