Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server 4.0 & SP6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteadDu

MIS
Nov 15, 1999
GB
I know ....but the last one tonight. What are the implications of upgrading to SP6 from 4 if any and would this benefit my network in any way ??

You might run into problems with some of your software, because tyhe software might have trouble with SP6. This is especially true if you are using ArcServe. <p>Joe<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

From what i've seen SP6 includes the SP5 patch...check what's not going to do well with SP5<br>
<br>
Spooky, though, another SP just before the product is phased out.<br>

SP6 tackles over 100 bugs and year 2000 problems.<br>
HOWEVER, on enterprise servers, the software introduces new problems, including system crashes and security flaws.<br>
The word is...don't install it unless it is to solve a problem addressed by SP6. Try to apply it on a test machine that has a particular problem that SP6 can fix. Then try both user and admin accounts on the machine to see if problems occur. In the first week of it's release, IT companies reported problems ranging from loss of access to lotus notes and system freezes.<br>
We have placed it on 2 workstations so far (no problems)<br>
No plans to do servers yet!<br>
Good Luck!<br>
<br>
Jon<br>

Jono is correct about lotus notes, don't do it if you run lotus notes 4. You need administrator access to use ln4 with sp6.<br>
<br>
John

MS just released SP6a that is supposed to fix the Lotus Notes problems. Problem is, some who have downloaded SP6a say it is identical to SP6 (size and file check comparison). Anybody run into this?<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back