Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Server 4.0/Proxy Server 2.0 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2005
US
I have inherited a network that consists of NT Server 4.0 PDC and several Microsoft 2000 servers serving as file and print servers. The PDC does entirely to many duties, Microsoft Post Office, (DNS, DHCP, Proxy Server 2.0, RRas for routing) There are two nics installed on it, one contains the internal static IP address and the other provides internet connectivity. My experience has been with Active Directory and Windows 2000 server. Luckily for me I get to design the new network but that is 4 months down the line. The problem are too many to list. My immediate problem is one of my users mysteriously cannot connect to the internet, there are 10 other users that can reach the internet. From her Win98 client machine I can ping the internal network but I can't reach any outside address' including the NIC IP address that is addressed to my ISP. Group Membership is in place and the same as other users that do have access. She currently does not have email or internet access. Any help any one can provide would be appreciated. I can also provide additional information.

Have you checked this user's proxy settings and compared them to the users who are not having issues.

After re-installing her proxy client I was able to get her internet access up, but I do have another problem. I had to rebuild an existing computer on the network. I am attempting to install mspclnt from the share and it gives me some kind of Registration error and won't download the files on the client. Their permissions didn't change from when they had access. When I try and connect to the computer from the MMC console it says no administerable services found. The user computer is Windows XP professional. I am not sure of the proper procedure for adding users on Proxy 2.0. I sure could use some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back