Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Roaming Profiles logging onto W2k-TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddvb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2001
US
Am trying to get several programs running on Win2K's Terminal Services that require specific changes to files located (only) in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\windows.

Unfortunately, there is no such folder (despite having logged onto TS remotely with each username). I assume this is because the TS server is not a DC, so users profiles & homedrives are not local. The actual "\windows" folder is located on the PDC\users share.

When we log on with TS Client we log onto the domain (not "this computer"). Is this OK or should there be local users created on the TS box? I've seen many posts stipulating that "logon locally" rights are required, but nothing stating HOW to logon.

This is on an NT Domain with some Win2k member servers, including the TS machine. Clients are all 2Kpro or XPpro.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I presume that the terminal server is on NT?

I have never used TS on TS and not much of an expert on W2k TS.

Under w2k, there is seperate profile path for TS profiles. So I can presume they are logging on with a local profile.

Assuming your user profiles are on a server called DataServer and your terminal server is called TerminalServer:
1. The user has two places to set up a profile. One is the standard profile, the other is the Terminal Services profile. On an NT domain, it is in User Manager, on a 2000 domain it is in AD Users and computers. Make sure, first of all, that the user is set up poperly in the Terminal Servicies section.
2. When a user logs onto a machine, the profile (provided it is supplied in the profile path) is copied from the profile server (if specified as above) to the local machine. (That's what its doing when WIN2k says loading settings). When the user logs off, changes are copied back to the profile server (again, if specified for the login type - normal domain login or TS login). Keep in mind that, on a Windows 2000 (or XP) machine, all documents in the standard (MS out of the box) config are included in the profile, as are any items on the desktop. So if a user has 100MB of stuff in folder on their desktop, it will copy at every login or logout.
3. Do not create local accounts for your users. Use your domain accounts, make sure they have access to log into a TS Session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back