Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT PC printing off Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1980

Technical User
Feb 24, 2004
GB
Hi,

We have four NT machines (the rest are XP) in the building and I can't get them to connect to the new print server. The printer was set up with XP drivers initially and when I tried to connect from the NT PC I get the message "The server on which the printer resides does not have a suitable HP Laserjet 2300 Series PCL 6 printer driver installed. Click OK if you wish to install the driver on your local machine".
So I have tried installing both NT and XP drivers on this machine but it just comes back as "The printer driver is unknown" and if I try to set up additional drivers on the server it says the same thing.

The really annoying thing is that the current print server is set up idetically and the NT machines work fine...

eurgh, nevermind. Managed to get a dodgy work around on it.

Hi Chris,
The issue you are experiencing is due to the incompatibility between the Operating System. To help resolve the issue, we need to know a few things

1.What is the Operating System of the machine to which the printer is connected?
2. What is the exact error message that is displayed?
3.Was the NT machine upgraded to Windows XP or was it a fresh installation.

Windows NT supports version 2 printer driver while the Windows XP supports the version 3 printer driver.Version 3 printer driver are backward compatible but version 2 printer driver are not backward compatible.

1. Click on the additional driver tab and select the printer driver for the Windows NT machine and try installing the printer driver.
2. Connect the printer driver locally to a Windows XP machine and then try accessing the printer.
3. Install the Printer driver locally in every system and then try to point and print.

Hope this resolves the issue.
Kind regards
Mathew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back