Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT on HDS 9980V problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedm

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
AU
Hi has anyone had experience with NT 2000 servers connected to 9980V? I have a number of servers connected via SAN.
I have 2 issues

Some 2000 servers could not have dynamic allocated disk defined and we had to use basic.

The other happened when a 2000 server (already on the SAN) rebooted it found a device it did not have drivers for and initiated a request for an install. Until the install was cancelled the HDS disk could be seen through device manager but not in explorer.

Thanks

Part 1

On a cluster, dynamic disks are not supported. You have to use basic, or go with a third party volume manager.

Part 2

I guess the first question is, "was the intent to see the new disk?". If this was not the intent, then go back and check your presentation. Remember, on the 99xx series, there are three distinct areas to check; LUN masking, zoning, and LUN security. If the intent was to see the disk, then you must write a signature to the new drive. Once you do this and rescan [may require a reboot depending on the specific HBA]. You should see the new LUN in disk administrator.

John
MOSMWNMTK

Thanks all. I think we tracked it down to administrator not communicating. Someone had signed it before a second admin got to the drive to allocate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back