Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehiser

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2001
US
I'm working on a Project at Ford in Detriot. I'm working with some proprietary software working as a server to NT workstations. I want to rule out any memory problems with NT.

Basically we have a program that can handle 3,000 transactions a minute from workstations. We dump a database onto the Server twice a day which only has 2,000 items in it. Well below what we can handle with our software. When an item is scanned at a workstation it pings the database on the server for the transaction and returns the values to the workstation which then prints a label for the item. Once we have a number of people processing at once the transaction slows from instant to up to a 12 second delay before printing. I can watch on the server as the transaction comes in, but the delay is on the server before it sends back. Network utilization never goes higher than 37%, no other processes are spiking during the delay.

However, 2 problems. This proprietary software has problems when large amounts of RAM and being used. So we can't use more than 128MB. In theory this should work fine because this is nothing complicated. Memory paging is at a minimum also. Second, we are using TracerX as the program for performing individual threads on each transaction. This isn't normally done on our Servers. It's hard to explain without knowing out software. Anyway, what I am thinking is that since our software dumbs after 128MB and TracerX is handling the transactions that it's a memory limitation problem.

I would like to dump more memory into the system and limit our server application to 128MB and use the rest for TracerX. Can and how do I go about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back