Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT is dead :((

Status
Not open for further replies.

dArktEmplAr

Programmer
Apr 8, 2001
PH
Hi,
I have done a crazy thing! I wanted to install linux on my system and decided to use Partition magic 4.0. It just froze in between and I had to reboot the system. On turning on the system, it tells me that corrupted file or folder \$BITMAP and asks to run chkdsk. I am able to login to my system, but then there is nothing visible even CTRL+ALT+
DEL doesn't work. I have tried rebooting, but no results.
My rescue disk is corrupted! <damn the floppy>. I had two partitions. One FAT16 (C drive) and NTFS (D Drive). I wanted to split drive D :( B-(
Welcome to the Pythian Games!
Long live Godess Athena!
dArktEmplAr of Delphi Oracle

Oh dear??? The only thing I can suggest is to place your hard disk as a slave into another machine with NT on, then see if you can access stuff on the disk from there.

Unlucky!

Why does the word &quot;Doh!&quot; spring to mind?

Several options. Floppy boot and check the C root folder. Probably half a LILO in there. Look for the usual ntldr, boot.ini etc. View boot.ini if you can and check that is ok.

You can manually copy the 4 standard files straight up to the box from a floppy and you should get going assuming you can get rid of LILO and assuming the boot.ini is ok you should end up fine.

How come you can log in if you can't CTRL ALT DEL?

Zelandakh - Homer Simpson lives...?! How's about AUTOLOG - that enables you to logon without CTRL ALT DEL.

Try using the NT CD-ROM and running a repair.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Tnx guys, I took the easy road out! I tried doing a repair, but the drive was not visible.
I reformated the machine. I could log in, but then the computer does not respond to CTRL ALT DEL. I think that it was searching for some services on the D drive.

Welcome to the Pythian Games!
Long live Godess Athena!
dArktEmplAr of Delphi Oracle

I think all data already detroyed after you &quot;reformated the machine.&quot; Unless you only reformated C: drive, probably data still in D: drive.
Unable use CTRL+ ALT+ DEL to login after formated your hard drive in NT? Check partition size. Otherwise, you may have a bad keyboard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back