Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT installation blue screen error/missing operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

crutch006

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Hi people.

I have an issue installing NT workstation on a new PC.
I boot from NT CD (SP1), follow the prompts as usual.
When setting up partitions i initially create a 4gb partition to use as a boot partition, with 30+gb partition separate.
I format the 4gb (using entirely the NT CD) with Fat32 and the initial file copying process goes fine.
After a Re-boot, the usual microprocessor screen apears but is halted by a blue screen of death indicating an innaccessible boot device. I figure that maybe its looking at the wrong partition possibly?

I retry the installation this time only creating the 4gb partition. Again with Fat and this time after reboot i get missing operating system message immediately on boot.

Further to this, just to eliminate it, i downloaded the SP4 updated atapi large disk drivers on a floppy. then when propted to enter different device options during setup. i enter the driver disk but i get an error stating that i do not have that type of device connected.

I have completed many NT installations in my time but this problem has only occurred with any new IBM machines I get in.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys and gals!!

I'm at the stage where I'm thinking of getting my DOS 6 box out.

:)

just to add to this.. i tries FDISK to no avail too... then....

ive managed to get the system up and running by formatting the partitions etc with an XP pro CD. then doing exactly the sam ewith the NT CD..

hardly a fix. but make it less urgent i suppose.

I had this exact same issue with a new IBM mainboard not properly booting off a hard disk with an installation of NT, yet drive was visible in CMOS (at least I think it was). Solution was to update BIOS. Support from the vendor had also experienced this problem, that's how I got the suggestion. One of the RARE occasions that has actually done something positive for me.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

create the for setup floppys and replace the atapi.sys with the one from sp4/6, boot from disks then.

Any luck with this yet?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

i'd tried the atapi sys replacement to no avail..

sorry for not posting a reply, been away for the weekend.

So far ive not had to setup another PC in this way as formatting the partitions with XP setup did the trick.

I have logged a call with IBM regarding this.. no doubt they can shed some light regards to Matt's bios update fix

cheers guys.. will post any further info asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back