Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Folder Rights - Secured Database 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmusick

Programmer
Aug 12, 2003
All -

If an Access database has security established (mdw), what type of NT rights to the folder (where the database and mdw reside) will the users need? I have Access groups established with basically read privileges, and read/write privileges. I would like have their NT rights limited as much as possible.

Thanks

If the db is secured? why do you need to have the folder secured as well

Hope this helps
Hymn

If other users don't need the db, they will not have any rights to the folder. There will be other items within the folder that I don't want a user that has access to the db to be able to delete. Am I missing something obvious?

Thank You.

There are variations of what/how your network is setup, it would be advisable to ask your network adminstrator which /what is the correct way for the db to used

Hope this helps
Hymn

Use the network security to limit who can use the database. The downside is that all users must have create and delete rights on that folder. Even if a database is not secured, when a user opens the database, a .ldb file is created. If a user does not have permission to create files in that particular folder on the network, access will open the database exclusively if that user is the first one in. This will not allow anyone else into the database. So anyone that is going to be using a shared database on the network must have create and delete rights or the potential exists that they will lock everyone else out.

Thanks. That is the information I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back