Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nt domain user with qmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g4j4hgil4

Technical User
Jan 1, 2003
ID
hi guys...
first i wonder if its posible to setup linux mailserver(qmail) to authenticate users with nt domain?

from what i read, it is posible with PAM, so...
i managed to get PAM working.(i can get authenticate in linux box through nt domain)

but in qmail man, i read that qmail wont send any email if the username doesnt have home directory in linux box
so it would be no use

question is...
how do i synchronize user accounts in nt domain so that they automagicly have their home dir created in linux?
i can manualy add each of them but i got like 200 user account there :(

please someone enlight me
thanks

note: please excuse my english

If you really (REALLY) want your qmail relay on some NT Domain-users, ummm... change your mind :)

(How funny ... ) No,t'was a joke :)

Me - on your side - would modify (or initiate - don't know what you're using) a samba logon-(or maybe a mount-)script.
So, everytime a NT-User is trying to logon (if your MX is a PDC) or mount some device on your MX the script silently adds a local account.
(You should stick one of this post-it notes to your customers coffee-machine saying something like this &quot;Wanna see our CEO getting a blow? Just open your Desktop and type in '\\<your_mx_name>\<your_dummy_mountpoint>'&quot;

Now, your customers will do this work for you while you're relaxing and maybe doin' some 'social engineering' :)

thanks sseitz, its a good idea maybe i'll try it but not that 'CEO getting blow' part :)

g4j4... I was wondering if you ever got this to work. I have the same setup as you listed and can log into the Linux box authenicating back to the NT domain user/password. I have qmail setup and can log into it with accounts created in qmailadmin or vqadmin. Were you (or anybody reading this) were able to create a mailbox in qmail and have the authentication be tied into the NT domain? Yes... I know it's not secure and it's not optimal, but our IT director wants this....

Thanks for any help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back