Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT domain update - keep netbios name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckeek

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
US
This might sound like a dumb question but I've been bitten before for not asking dumb questions. Right now I have 4 NT servers (PDC, BDC/File/print, SQL, and Exchange 5.5) serving up an NT domain (let's call it "company"). If I update my NT PDC and select "domain controller for a new domain", I want to create "company.com" as my fully qualified domain name - OK so far. Can I create a NetBIOS domain name called "company"? I have this fear in the back of my head that it won't let me do that, that I'll have to name it something else like "company0", and then end up with a separate domain which I could migrate to using ADMT but I REALLY don't want to go that route. Thanks in advance!

In windows 2k, if you create a domain called COMPANY.COM, your netbios name would be COMPANY for legacy clients etc.

Am sure others here would have some things to say about ending a AD domain name with .com though.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Thanks, claudek. What problems would I encounter with company.com? In fact (not that it probably matters), in my current DNS setup on my servers that's listed as the domain. What would you recommend instead - company.dom?

I am ok with either. I have had clients who've wanted it as .com and others as .int for eg. Regarding the .com one,
users will not be able to get to unless you create a cname entry in your internal DNS called to the ip address of
I mentioned this as some admins are very passionate about DNS namings and keeping internal and external networks differentiated.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back