Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Domain Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmorones

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
Hello, I am still running a win NT domain and have recently been asked to setup remote access. Here is my problem. We have a private IP hosted by an ISP. We have no routers, on site. All we have are private IP's on our network. I have asked our ISP to map a public IP to one of our private IP's and allow all traffic in. I have tried setting up a NT RAS server with one nic but this doesn't seem to work as I cannot access it from the LAN. First question, should I be able to access it from the LAN? Will the RAS server recognize that traffic is coming in from the same subnet and just discard it? Are there any better solutions? I have heard that using a pix 501 firewall for remote access is a good option. Any opinions on that?

We use a sonicwall tz 170 sp, it is a router as well as a firewall that has content filtering and VPN capabilities. When you say your isp is a private IP, what do you mean? Who is your ISP and is your IP address dynamic or static?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back