Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Desktop as Thin Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

nels

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2001
GB
We have a large number of unmanaged and varying specs of NT4 Workstations (circa 1900) which I would like to lock down, hide all icons bar a CITRIX PN.

If i bring all these desktops into a AD domain can i accomplish the above without having to physically visit the desktops:

Goals
Remove / Hide all appplication icons except PN
Lock the workstation so the user can only use PN to access apps, and not be able to utilise the currently installed apps.

Thanks
Nels

Is there any good reason to 'lock down' these NT desktops?

Its seems an obsession in some quarters - and I'm certainly not going to give any aid. You can easily prevent access to filestore not pertinent to users - why this obsession with removing functionality from PCs? Do you have to suffer the same restrictions? (I'm sure you're above such things - and your users 'can't be trusted').

End of rant (worked on a site 7 years ago where this approach prevailed - but the tech people didn't have a clue what they were doing - caused no end of problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back