Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT certs are dead....for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denodave

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
With a HUGE amount of networks still based on NT you'd think MickeySoft would continue certs. I am getting started and never had the chance to get one, so I am feeling kind of ripped off. Can anyone confirm what if anything I can do? Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Maybe the certification industry is dead, but the operating system sure isn't. If I had a certification school I would offer only the latest things. If I offered a course of WP 5.1, would you read the rest of my curriculum?

Companies do not upgrade every year their operating systems, like home-users.

I don't have certs, I bought myself Mastering Windows NT-Server from Mark Minassi and helped put up some networks for educational purpose running on NT, among other things. S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

My present employer seemed told me he looked out for people with certs and since mine were NT and the most relevant i was employed.(20 NT Servers 2 2000 servers).
I suppose eventually w2k certs will become more relevant as companies upgrade, but it seems a lot of IT heads are maybe waiting for the release of service pack 6a before they do.

More to the point.....I was trying to find an article confirming the actual discontinuation date of the NT4 cert exams. I thought they were going to be available until this summer??? [ponder]

It seems as though I have a job interview coming up with a company that uses NT4 and it is my weakest link as far as O/S's go. I have a 4-book set of "MCSE Core Four for Dummies" ..... think it'll help if I bone up real fast? Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Are you applying for NT Network administrator?

If I was interviewing some one to work for me, and he told that he has no experience, but has the book, I would ask him the title, and buy the book myself instead of hiring him. Would be a lot cheaper. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

The NT4 exams have been unavailable since March 1, 2001.

As svanels, I dont know many companies that will hire a Network/Server/System Admin who plans to learns as he goes, a Techie/Helpdesk/Support is a different story.
You may want to consider preparing for Win2K. Then you could find employment helping the "HUGE amount of networks still based on NT" transition to 2K. Jon Hawkins

I agree with jonscott8. You might start with test 70-222 (Upgrading to Windows 2000). There are a ton of companies who will eventually be upgrading and will need people who know how.

Count me in, as well. I administer a NetWare5/NT4 LAN, and have used Win2K and XP extensively - if you have a real knowledge of Win2K, you would not have any real trouble administering an NT4 network.

gAp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back