Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT cannot delete strange FTP folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkr

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
I'll admit it -- I think my NT 4.0 FTP server was hacked. I had it pretty open, anonymous access with uploading possible for our business clients to access.

I started seeing folders with blank names. With NT Explorer, you cannot rename them, delete them, move them, or edit properties. You cannot explore them. However, in my upload log, you can see the entire filename of the uploaded file - looks like bad files buried under 15 subdirectories below the one that I cannot read.

So, obviously, I've changed the security. But, what is going on? And how can I delete this trash?

Tim

OK, automated explorer makes a lot of assumptions for ease of use. I had some odd folder names once, Exp. was useless but DOS killed them.

What happens in s DOS VM if you

DIR /AD > t.txt

If you can get the folder names that way, then throw quotes around it and a DelTree /y in front you might trash the suckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back