Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT BOX crashed, Need to Back up SQL Data: Please HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vkode78

Technical User
Nov 22, 2004
US
Here is the story so far..

My NT box decided it was time for Blue screen of Death. However I was able to do a REPAIR of the NT, using the NT CD and R option, and now I am able to Boot.

My system: Compaq AP550

9.1GB SCSI HD - OS and SQL server
120 GB IDE HD - SQL DATA

After logging into NT, I get this error from
SQL server service manager:

"The specified Service does not exist as an Installed Service"

I go into SQL server enterprise manager and double click on the <server name> SQL server This is what I get:

A connection could not be established to <sever name>
Reason : SQL Server does not exist or access denied
ConnectionOpen (Connect()):

HOw can I get my SQL server up again. I am new to SQL server and new to this machine, just been asked to fix it.

My main concern is really the data residing on the IDE drive. There are couple of databases 30 GB and 65GB. I need to be able to back them upto another hard drive before this machine dies on us. We are moving to a Dell Poweredge server, and SBS 2003.

SO the final result we are looking at is to have these databases onto that new machine. I am hoping if I can fix/repair the SQL server on this old machine, and get it up and running, then I can back up the databases to a new Hard Disk. And use that disk in the New machine to restore them on the SBS 2003 box.

Any comments or suggestions on how to go abou this would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Kode

Install SQL on the new server.
Patch SQL on the new server.
Copy the mdf and ldf files from the IDE drive to the folder on the new server where you want them.

In Enterprise Manager connect to the new server. Open the server, right click on databases. Select All Tasks, select Attach Database. Browse to the folder with the mdf file in it. Select the MDF file. Make sure that the ldf file has a check mark next to it. If it doesn't, correct the path. Set the owner correctly and the database name, click ok (or attach, or whatever the button says). The database will now be running on the new server.

Now setup your hourly/daily/weekly backups so that the next time your server dies, you don't have these problems again.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Thank you so much Denny. That is what I will do.
My old SQL server is SQL 7.0. The new SBS2003 box will have SQL 2000. Any issues with attaching the mdf/ldf files to thew new SQL 2000?

Is there any way to revive my old SQL server so I can back these files to a tape using SQL server.

Thanks

There shouldn't be any problems when attaching the databases. SQL will upgrade the databases from v7 to v8 (2000) when they are attached.

You can try starting the SQL Server exe file (sqlservr.exe) manually (usually in c:\mssql7\binn, or something). Then you can back it up. It might not work, because of missing system files. You might need to reinstall sql first, but I'd just copy the data files over and call it a day.

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Oh, and don't try to get the system databases (master, model, msdb, tempdb) they are very different between sql 7 and 2k.

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back