Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmsite

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
I have an NT server with SP4 that has the following error at boot up...os loader v 4.01

Windows NT
System32\config\system\hardware profile\last known...

And then says that I can try to repair....

I do not have an ERD. I tried to boot the win 2K recovery console, which did give me a c:\ but I keep getting an access denied when I try to change directories, copy, or any other. I did not get a logon prompt when booting the console.

I have tried to boot in the (VGA) mode and it still hangs up.

Thanks for any help.

Ted

I had a similar problem and didn't have an ERD either. just reinstall over the top of the old one. However make sure you choose "upgrade" and not "new version". This will then keep all your settings.

the only issue here is that you will have to reconnect any nt4 workstations and servers again as the servers SID will change.

I didn't have this problem as we use win98 boxes.

Also how are you booting to the win2k recovery console if it is an NT 4.0 server?

if you want to boot to the c drive and it has an NTFS partition you will need to create an NTFS boot disk - and SCSCI drivers if it is not an IDE drive.

Hope this helps.

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

Have you tried the repair option without the ERD (it will look for the installation - finds it about 50% of the time in my experience. It can use the repair info saved to hard disk then.

btw - I don't think there is an upgrade option when installing NT, booting from the Cd or the 3 boot floppies. You can install on top of existing - but you will loose all settings and user data.

PS. Might be worth running chkdsk (from recovery console if it will let you - or by loading drive as slave in another machine).

"btw - I don't think there is an upgrade option when installing NT, booting from the Cd or the 3 boot floppies. You can install on top of existing - but you will loose all settings and user data."

Do your homework Wolluf - i used it the other day!

and the repair option never works either!

:O)

neil

I am not sure how to format a floppy drive with NTFS. Is there any way to login from c:\ to gain access?

Ted

I use a program called disk factory. This program allows you to create an NTFS boot disk.

You could always try and create a bootable NT system disk and boot from that. You will need another NT based computer however to get the files from.

Copy the following hidden, system files from the system partition of the NT box to the boot disk:
NTLDR
NTDETECT.COM
BOOT.INI (copied from your working NT, it will point to the existing installation)
NTBOOTDD.SYS - only needed if the computer has a SCSI controller with its BIOS disabled
BOOTSECT.DOS - present only if the computer is dual boot.

The boot disk is kinda generic but in particular, the boot.ini must be edited to point to the correct boot partition. The boot disk is just smart enough to look for the existing NT installation and pass control to its NT kernel.

If that doesn't work and you have tried Wolluf's ideas then i guess you will just have to reinstall and this time i am sure you will create an ERD.

Good luck!
jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

neoice - we must have different installations/install disks. Booting from NT server CD with NT server installed, I only get options to Repair existing installation or create a New Installation. No upgrade option anywhere.

Ted - jono's boot disk will get you in if the problem is with your boot sector. You might want to copy ntldr & ntdetect.com off the CD (\i386), just in case one or both have been corrupted on the hard drive.

Thanks Guys...
I will let you know how things come out.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back