Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart87

Technical User
Jan 29, 2007
GB
Hi all

I have been trying for months to sort out one of my clients backup solution and cant get it right. They are running windows server 2003 standard edition and they are using a dell server with a internal tape drive with a set of 6 tapes.

All we want to do is backup with ntbackup everyday at 11pm using the corresponding days tape (weekends just use Friday’s tape). This is the code we are using:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Daily Backup.bks" /n "Media created 11/12/2007 at 18:18" /d "Set created 11/12/2007 at 18:21" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:eek:n /m normal /j "Daily Backup" /l:s /p "4mm DDS"

I did set the /um as on and that works for one day but after that it doesn’t work at all.

I have been looking on Microsoft’s website and they suggest doing each individual tape as a weekly backup and was just wondering how other people have their backups set when using a tape schedule??

Thank you for all your help in advanced

Hello,
It sounds like you have one tape per day, but you don't have multiple friday tapes (weekly & monthly). We have "week 1-4" (4 for months with 5 weeks), then the last friday of every month we use "month 1-3" (rotate every three months). daily tapes are differential and fridays are full. We have scheduled tasks to run .bat files for each job. .bat files contain (friday, for instance):

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Friday-Full.bks" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:eek:n /m normal /j "Friday-Full" /l:s /p "Tape" /um

rsm eject /lf"drivemodel" /astart

I use ntmsmgr.msc (removable storage manager) to make sure the tapes are labeled correctly, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back