Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Backup Scheduling and Command Lines..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeem

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
GB
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what command lines to apply to my ntbackup.exe schedule.

If I want to backup the entire server to a slave drive (E:\backups\server)

Plus if I schedule the backup to happen daily does that mean it will backup the entire server everytime or just the files updated during the day?

Some help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Damon

Damon,

One of the ways I get command lines is to run ntbackup.exe, and go to the calendar tab, create a new scheduled job, and set the properties. Then, when it is set up, go to Task Scheduler (Start-> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools) and right-click -> properties.

You can then copy and paste the command-line arguments from there.

As to your other question, ntbackup allows you to choose full, incremental, or differential. We use Full on a sort of GFS strategy. Incremental will only backup files changed, but you need to have access to all the backups from the last full backup in order to do a restore. Differential works a little different, but as I haven't used in a while, I can't say for sure...

You can also chose a weekly backup, and then select only Monday through Friday, thereby not wasting time at the weekend backing up if you don't need to.

Once you set all of these options in the WIndows GUI and go to task scheduler, you'll get something like this:
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\rclements\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Will Test.bks" /n "will-test.bkf created 28/10/2004 at 17:55" /d "Set created 28/10/2004 at 17:55" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m daily /j "Will Test" /l:s /f "R:\temp\will-test.bkf"

Here, I am backing up a Daily backup (only files changed that day), and replacing each file in the backup that has changed, for only Monday through Friday.

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\rclements\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\WillTest2.bks" /n "FullBack.bkf created 28/10/2004 at 18:00" /d "Set created 28/10/2004 at 18:00" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "WillTest2" /l:s /f "R:\temp\FullBack.bkf"

The above just runs a normal full backup once at 23:00 (note that the 23:00 schedules are not handled by ntbackup, but by the Task Scheduler).

hth,

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back