Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Backup Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

IS-IT--Management
Aug 31, 2001
GB
Hi,

I run NT Backup on a w2k sp4 server - it seems like it keeps appending the reports to the end of an existing file, and this file is starting to get pretty big! I'm requesting the full report of everything it backs up.

Is there anyway to force it to create a new file everytime a backup is run, making it easier to get the job reports?

Thanks in advance,

GB

What kind of backup are you taking every night?

I never seen it append the logs and for me its always creating 10 log files, once it has 10 log files it overwrites them as is needed.

The only thing I can think is causing yours to be appended is posibly because you are doing incremential backups and doesn't do a full backup every night.

If you read the ntbackup faq faq96-5023 there is only 3 options for log file full, summary or none. I always go full and have a full backup ever night and as I said never seen the log files getting appended.

One more to thing...have you installed sp4 and all the updates? NTbackup on windows 2000 suffered from quite a few problems before sp3 and sp4 fixed some more. So if you haven't already installed sp4 it might sort out your backup problem.

I dont perform a full backup, I choose what I want to backup. I also run the full logging...

Thanks for the prompt reply.

GB

Just remembered that last week we had to do manual backups of certain files and it logged it into the same 10 log files...

So it does sound like your ntbackup isn't working as it should. Again if you haven't installed sp4 do that as it fixed a lot of other backup problems.

What is the name of your backup log file & where is it stored?

Thanks for the replies guys, but i think im doing something wrong.

If I schedule a daily backup to a DLT drive, the schedule calls the media name and description to whenever the job was created, so you end up with taps all called the same!

I must be really stupid.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back