Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NT Backup Inject 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul318

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
GB
Everytime I change the tape in a stand alone tape drive, I always have to inject the tape. Is there a was I can just change it without having to keep on going into computer management and Injecting it?

Are you trying to say eject? What's back-up program are you using and what version. Bu if your talking about NT4 backup and not any 3rd party software, then the answer in "NO", there's no option to eject the drive.

No I can Eject by pressing the Eject button on the Compaq SDLT drive. But when I put the tape in I have to Inject the tape in Computer Management --> Removable media (right click the drive and Inject). Otherwise the drive still displays the old tape od just 'Empty'
There are no other 3rd party backup programs running just NTBackup on a Windows 2000 Server

I thought you are referring to the event that after back up session it will eject the tape automatically so you can replace it without pressing the eject button. This option is not supported on NT back up.

I'm using Veritas and that option you're looking is like "Inventory" on Veritas tools. Sorry, I really not sure whether there's an option like that on NT back up, ANYONE?

** There's a lot of limitation of NT back up that's why we buy 3rd party software like Veritas, Arcserve etc. for back up purposes.

are you looking for an answer for how to initialize the tape automatically instead of manually mount it, if it is try to use a script file or simply a batch file and adding '/um' to allowe the tape to be earased and initialized. such as the example below, after specifing the pool name add the /um parameter at the end of the batch file. good luck

...../p "4mm DDS" /um

I think what you are looking for is in the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 267574
Scheduled Backups Fail on Standalone Tape Drives After Changing Media

I have used this and it senses the tape change without intervention.
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back